Sunday, November 26, 2006

what's in a name?

names are very important.

we all have one, and to a certain extent, we can control how that name is used.

my full name is quite long, and for me is a bit old fashioned, so I just shorten it to "cecile". that's what it says on my name plate at work.

only a few people use my full name - of course that would be my family. especially my mom when she's angry at me. people who know me from primary school actually still use my first name in full, so if someone calls me "maria cecilia", then i know that they knew me then. at college and at work, people called me "cecile" or "ces". close friends call me something else altogether. so based on what you call me, i can pretty much get a clue as to where you met me, or how long you've known me.

so, i guess i'm pretty happy with my name.

i have here a list of names that i could think of with their meanings. of course i'll begin with my name:

cecilia / cecile - in latin, means "the blind one"...also means inspired.
ivy - origin greek and english. a climbing evergreen ornamental plant.
natalie - origin french, born at christmas,
juanita - (my mom's name) origin spanish. form of Joanne. God is gracious.
jeremias - (my dad's name) origin hebrew. exalted of the Lord.
paulo - origin african. place of rest.
origin english. little rock.
origin greek. form of paul. small.
cressida - origin greek. gold
carlo - origin french. strong.
isidro - origin spanish. gifted with many ideas.
andrew - origin latin. manly.
jacob - origin hebrew. held by the heel.
hannah - origin hebrew. grace of God.
stephen - origin greek. crown.
isabella - origin hebrew. devoted to God.
sophia - origin greek. wisdom.
rebecca - origin hebrew. captivating; knotted cord.
marguerite - origin greek. child of light.

oh well, the list would go on forever... but it's just nice to know the meaning of our names.





No comments: